October 21, 2005

Avacados

Much calmer today. Have changed locks on the house, cancelled credit cards and put a fraud alert on my credit record, and will be running out shortly to replace ID and ATM card. As soon as I finish, I expect to find my purse in some ridiculously simple place, like hanging on the bathroom doorknob.

Anyway..

One our family's favorite snack is the avacado, and I especially love to share one with my 2 year old daughter. She sits on the table in front of me, and I cut the avacado in two and scoop out the inside like we were sharing a yogurt. We visit while we eat, and she tells me all of the wonderful that come to her two year old mind. Now that the baby is experimenting with food, we mashed some up and shared it with her today as well. She was a little unsure at first, since she's accustomed to the jarred baby food, but once she got a hang of the lumps, the really enjoyed it.

When we finished, we gave her the scooped out peel to enjoy while we cleaned up, and we laughed at her green face, hands, and clothes.

It really was a warm moment in our day, and two thoughts came to my head:

1) Food really is to be enjoyed. All of us were enjoying the buttery taste and the smooth texture of a nice, round, ripe avacado. We were also enjoying it together as a family, and enjoying each other as well.

2) I really want to teach my girls to enjoy food in this way, as a part of something bigger, and not as the enjoyment itself. Food is not happiness, but food can be shared as part of happiness.

And as I've mentioned before, I'm finding myself much more happy now that I've stop letting food control my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home