October 19, 2005

Turkey Stuffed Peppers

I'm going to put this recipe on here because I love it, and though I'm not sure of the calories involved, I don't think it's too bad. The pepper is practically nothing and fills you up. I scoop out 1/2 the meat to share with my daughter and only take a small amount of brown rice.

This recipe is from Taste of Home magazine.


Turkey Stuffed Peppers

2 large green peppers, tops and seeds removed
1/2 pound ground turkey
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 T. butter
1 T. flour
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. chopped tomato
4 T. cheddar cheese divided

In a large saucepan, cook peppers in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water; set aside. In a skillet, cook the turkey, onion, and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside. In the same skillet, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Return turkey mixture to skillet. Stir in tomato and 2 T. cheese; heat through. Spoon into peppers; sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Place in a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until peppers are tender and filling is hot. Makes 2 servings. (We serve it with brown rice.)

We've made this recipe a LOT, it's one of our favorites. (Usually I eat 2 peppers and loads of rice, making it not so calorie friendly.) I've varied a few ways:

**I've doubled it successfully. Just remember to double EVERYTHING. (I forget to double the white sauce and it's not as tasty.)
**In the interest of time, I'll use diced tomatoes from a can and they work well. Tonight all I had were chili spiced diced tomatoes and it really added a new twist.
**I never use the onion or garlic (making supper around here is an exercise in multitasking and if it comes in powedered form I'm all for it!) Onion and garlic powder do just fine.
**Any kind of cheese will do to change the flavor a bit for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home