January 05, 2006

I'll Take the Serenity and Supersize It!

I've just finished reading Anne Lamott's Operating Instructions. Good book, I love her writing, and she is so heartbreakingly honest that you can't help but like her. In any case, in one part of the book, she was thinking of starting a relationship with the wrong man. She new it wasn't a good choice, but she just wanted the high that comes from that kind of relationship. She was talking to a friend who had a similar history to Anne's, and the friend said something to her that made a big impact on her, and that she carried with her through a lot of difficult situations. The friend asked her:

Do you want the hit or do you want the serenity?

How appropriate.

Anne said she used it when making choices about a lot of things, but in her list, I noticed "food" as one of them.

So tonight, as I approached 1500 calories, I really wanted some sugar. Bad. And so I asked myself:

Do I want the hit or do I want the serenity?

And there in lies the backbone of what I need to decide each day, 100 times a day. Do I want the hit, the sugar high, the immediate gratification? Or do I want the serenity of making healthy choices, and the long term reward of a healthy, trim frame?

Today I took the serenity, and it feels good!

4 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

dance jam sessions with toddlers are wonderful. zoe and i love it. we listen to kanye west and missy elliott. not exactly politically correct, but great for shaking your booty to!

January 05, 2006 7:24 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Serenity Now! (There's a Seinfeld reference for everything.)

Sounds like your finding your way back into the groove. Way to go.

January 05, 2006 10:11 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

wow, I really needed to read that right now. Thank you for sharing it.

January 06, 2006 4:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good day fo you! low cal & exercise!!!!!!!!!! :)

January 06, 2006 6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home