February 20, 2006

Come On Feet!

I really like Leslie. She's enthusiastic. She's encouraging. She talks to her body parts.

Every morning as we walk our three miles together she cheers me on and lectures me again and again on the benefits of walking. "Come on feet!" she'll say to her feet and I'll repeat her.

"Come on feet!" I crow, as my children look up at me in confusion. "Come on legs!" I sing as I lift my knees." "Go, arms, go!" I start to sound a little crazy, but I figure if my body is going to work that hard, the least I can do is cheer it on.

Today, though I've listened to her commentary for 6 or 7 weeks now, something she said stuck with me: "Be grateful you have a body you can move!"

Yes, indeedy.

On Wednesday, I'm having an MRI done of my lovely brain to rule out the possibility of multiple sclerosis. This came up kind of suddenly, and I waffle between being confident that the MRI will be clear and that I'm totally healthy, to being sure that I've got MS and need to start planning for an uncertain future.

I'm never sure I'm using that latter/former rule correctly when I do use it, so instead I'll say that I'm pretty sure this is just a "rule-out" MRI. I like my doctor's way of doing things -- cutting to the chase and eliminating the thing that might keep you up the most at night. But then that sneaky little feeling creeps in and says, "But what if..."

So, today, I am grateful that I have a body that I can move. Today I carried my babies, I worked out until I was drenched in sweat, I cleaned my house from top to bottom, and cooked my husband a lovely Turkey Florentine. My body worked hard and I enjoyed every minute of it, happy in it's strength and mobility.

And for the MRI? Well, as M. said at dinner, "Well, if anyone ever tells you that you need your head examined..you can say I ALREADY HAVE!"

Oh, and wish me luck :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Maggie said...

It's scary, I know. And saying "Don't worry until you have reason to worry" is all but useless. But for what it's worth, I'm just absolutely confident that everything will be clear as a bell.

February 20, 2006 10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure you don't need it, but Good luck with the scan. I will be thinking of you!

February 21, 2006 7:06 AM  
Blogger Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

Good for you on the exercise and all the luck in the world on the MRI. I'll pray that everything turns out normal. I'll check back soon to see how it went.

February 21, 2006 8:00 PM  
Blogger Her Grace said...

Thanks everyone!

February 21, 2006 9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home