February 07, 2006

I Like Level One Myself

I was doing some research on target heart rates and the like this week and came across this (see below). It's loosely based on the Borg scale of perceived exertion during exercise.

Level 1: I'm watching TV and eating bon bons
Level 2: I'm comfortable and could maintain this pace all day long
Level 3: I'm still comfortable, but am breathing a bit harder
Level 4: I'm sweating a little, but feel good and can carry on a conversation effortlessly
Level 5: I'm just above comfortable, am sweating more and can still talk easily
Level 6: I can still talk, but am slightly breathless
Level 7: I can still talk, but I don't really want to. I'm sweating like a pig
Level 8: I can grunt in response to your questions and can only keep this pace for a short time period.
Level 9: I am probably going to die.
Level 10: I am dead.

I think this chart is hilarious in itself, because who hasn't been in a working out and said, "OhmigoshIthinkImgoingtodie," or at least what amounts to saying that, since at level 8 you stop being able to actually form words. What I find even funnier is that, if you read the article, they don't address the funniness of it in the article itself.

Note this particular sentence:

For high intensity interval workouts, your recovery should be
around Level 4 or 5, and your intense interval should not go above
9.


Because if you did indeed go above a 9, you'd be...well...dead.

And believe me, no one needs to exercise that much.

5 Comments:

Blogger Maggie said...

This was too funny. It's been many years before I even got to true level 9. I quit when I get the "not too far from now I'm probably going to start feeling like I'm gonna die so I better just quit now."

February 07, 2006 7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well i think I probably exercised to level 10 yesterday. I definately feel like the 'walking dead' today!!!!!! LOL

February 08, 2006 3:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bethany, thats cheating! You should put a REAL photo up on the bloggest loser!!

February 08, 2006 3:47 PM  
Blogger Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

I laughed really hard when I read your post! That was great. You have a great sense of humor. I agree with margaret and the "not too far from now I'm probably going to start feeling like I'm gonna die so I better just quit now" category. I'll check back - you have a great blog! I have a family one also - check it out if you have time!
Dana

February 08, 2006 5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting that and I'm glad you enjoyed my version of perceived exertion...seemed easier to remember than the Borg scale. :-)

February 10, 2006 5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home