February 18, 2006

That Sound Is My Heart Exploding Into A Billion Little Pieces

The other day, Sass and I sat talking at the kitchen table. She's been interested in the fact that she's a girl, but I'm a woman. So I started telling her about how she would grow up someday, and that she might get married to someone like Daddy and have babies of her own, or she might have a wonderful job, ("Or I'll be a princess!" she added, and I agreed that anything is possible.), or whatever her heart desires.

She looked to be thinking this over quite thoroughly, then said:

"Mama? Will you come too?"

Somehow I doubt the invitation will be quite so open when she's a teenager and wants her old mom to quit cramping her style, but for today it was nice to know that in her perfect life, she envisions me her constant companion.

I'll take the job as long as she'll have me, and then I'll quietly step to the sidelines, but in my heart, I'll always "come too."

3 Comments:

Blogger Maggie said...

I was just telling my sister how grown up Sass is getting. She does so much for herself now. You're raising a wonderfully intelligent, warm, and sensitive girl. I have a gut feeling that no matter where she goes you'll always "come too" in her heart as well.

February 18, 2006 11:54 PM  
Blogger Lauri said...

Thats so sweet.. whats your secret?
Im going to be parenting a little girl soon and I need all the advice I can get.

I love stories like that

Lauri

February 19, 2006 9:44 PM  
Blogger Her Grace said...

Lauri -

Something tells me that your little girl is going to be as devoted to you as you are to her.

I can't wait to hear all of your stories once you get her home!

February 21, 2006 9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home