June 08, 2006

TAG! You're It!

I recently taught Sass to play tag. Though we've been playing chase-style games forever, tag blew her mind for some reason and she finds it totally hilarious. Since there aren't a whole lot of rules involved, it was a quick lesson and we were off.

She came running up to me that first time and yelled in my general direction:

"TAG! You're it!"

and went sprinting off, laughing with glee.

Being the rule abiding citizen that I am I stood there for a minute, then said:

"Sass? Part of tag is the tagging. You have to actually tag me to get me, ok?"

"Ok Mom!"

So she came running over again to where I sat waiting on the garden swing, getting ready to dodge a tag-back, and shouted into my face:

"TAG! You're it!"

And off she went.

I sighed and tried again.

"Honey? You have to touch Mommy. That's the tag part of the game. Got it?"

"Got it!!"

We played a rousing game that day and for days upon days since, and now every now and then when I'm at the counter getting dinner ready or studying my face in the bathroom mirror she'll sneak up behind me and shout to the back of my knees:

"TAG! You're it!"

She loves the thrill of the chase, she just doesn't have the tagging part down yet.

So anyway, I've been tagged by dear Mrs. Figby to do a meme and thank goodness because this week? I got nothing, folks. Here it is:

One body part you'd like to change
: That's like putting me in front of a dish of M&Ms and telling me I can only have one. Not fair. Sooooo...I'll pick my feet. They're wide and not very attractive and because of a slightly turned out foot caused by an ankle that was broken during a good friend's college graduation party (blood alcohol level not published to protect the author), I tend to get a huge, ugly, unwieldly callous on my big toe. You had to ask, didn't you?

Describe your ideal Saturday: M gets up with the early riser (Party Girl) without me having to beg, plead, or whine. Sass gets up and goes directly downstairs without stopping to poke me to see if I'm still sleeping or not. They play and make breakfast and when I wake up everyone is fed, dressed, and the kitchen is put back into order. I read the paper, eat my oatmeal and we all go out together to do something fun -- maybe a hike at the state park, a movie at the mall, a trip to Grandma's, or one of Sass's favorite summer activities -- the fair (of which we have about 20 gazillion of around here in the summer. Seriously, every weekend the child could be riding mini-rollercoasters and eating elephant ears.) Then we go out to dinner some place cool and comfortable that has a decent children's menu and doesn't raise their eyebrows at Party Girl tossing stuff onto the people's table next to us. We all come home and we tuck the girl's into bed together and watch a movie while I fall asleep with my (ugly) feet in M's lap.

What have you got leftover in your fridge: Turkey meatloaf, mashed potatoes, cinnamon squash, 1/2 of an avacado, some Annie's mac and cheese, and cheesecake pudding. Holy starch-o-rama.

You get to travel back in time for one day: Really? Wow. My wedding day? I'd love to relive that -- not to do it differently, just to do it again.

If you had one hour with the President, what would you say to him: HAH! Er..I mean I would say Mr. President? You have 956 days, 1 hour, 8 minutes, and 20 seconds left in your presidency. Not that I'm counting. What kind of mark do you want to leave? Because that's a lot of time to undo a lot of damage, if you get crackin'.

One body part you'd never change: Not a good day to be asking me that. Not a good day at all. Hmm. My eyes. They're a pretty blue, and they never gain weight.

(One of) your most favorite things about motherhood: Growth. I love, love, love it when my kids learn something new, when they master another milestone and pride shines on their little faces. I think to myself I was a part of that.

Ultra-violet rays or tan-in-a-bottle: UV, in moderation. Just enough to get the vitamin D furnace burning, then it's a little Blue Lizard for me. I've never been able to master the art of tan-in-a-bottle and always end up with orange palms or streaks under my chin.

You have an unlimited expense account. What three things do you purchase first:
1. A new home (or refurbish this one), complete with housecleaner.
2. A cottage on the lake
3. For M - The Rolling Stone Top 500 albums -- 1 copy of each -- so he could quit worrying about the ones he doesn't yet have in his already mammoth and incredibly diverse collection.

(Disclaimer: This is a meme. Meant for fun. Of course I would first fund our retirement, college savings, make my family members flush, and give charitably.)

Your least favorite thing about motherhood: Worry. Worry that I'm doing it wrong, that I'm screwing them up, that my best intentions aren't always what's best for them. Worry doesn't happen every day for me, but when it does it's really hard to deal with.

It's 10:00 pm, do you know where your children are?: Yes. In bed: Sass sacked out under her fleece blanket that she won't give up even though it's 90 degrees outside, her teddy tucked into his own soft-sided bed next to her. Party Girl on her belly with her knees tucked and her little bottom up in the air, pacifier in hand ready to be popped in should she wake up in the night (and me wondering how on Earth I'm going to wean her from that and why I didn't at 6 months when she was less attached to it!)

So let's see: Margaret, Moxie, Holly, Losing Myself, and Janey? TAG! You're it!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I love your 1 hour with the President... priceless!

June 09, 2006 11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home