July 25, 2006

This and That

Jenn thinks I should be posting more often. It seems this blog serves as entertainment for her, when she is bored and doesn't have anything to do. Except work. So Jenn? Get back to work.

Also? Thank you for reading.

So let's see. Here's a glimpse of what's going on in my head this week:


Things That Make Me Happy



Wading in the creek



Teaching my kids

Weeding my flower garden yesterday, I came across a newly emerged dragonfly. It was gorgeous -- cellophane wings almost six inches across, bright green and yellow body. I was absolutely repulsed at the thought of touching it, however. I mean -- it's a bug. A dragon type bug. Would you touch it?? But it needed help as it was stranded in our too tall grass. (Daddy? Can Mama mow the grass? Because it's really long. No? What are allergies?) I used my clippers to transfer it to a shady spot in my garden and as it crawled up the wall of our garage I think it heard it say Thank you -- and you are beautiful yet repulsive as well.

Being recommitted (again!) to weight-loss. I'm back on track and feel really good about it. It's funny, what actually did it for me. For being overweight, I think I've always had pretty decent body image (translation: I didn't realize how bad I looked.) My mom brought over some pictures the other day and I came across one of me sitting on her wooden swing and nearly barfed all over it. (You would too if you saw it, I swear. ) I promptly stuck it up on my cupboard door with a big BEFORE sticker underneath it and have to walk by it every day. It definitely ruins my appetite, which is great for the diet.

The Office has Webisodes!

Things That Are Worrying Me

This. Egads, people. This keeps me up at night. Even more than the bird flu. Okay, well at least as much as the bird flu. The conflict, the fighting, the families fleeing, the hard line we've taken again. I was watching a BBC news update during a highly non-competitive game of Candyland (also with highly flexible rules. did you know you can jump over the sticky licorice square that makes you lose a turn?) when Sassafras turned around for a moment and saw footage of an explosion. What's that a picture of, Mama? she asked. I distracted her long enough to sell my TV on ebay so that we will never, ever see images of war again.

We entered the war in Iraq when Sass was not yet two months old. As I sat and rocked her day in and day out, I watched CNN and wondered how to reconcile the brutal images I was seeing with the tiny baby in my arms who filled me with such warmth. After the first week, M came home at lunch, turned off the news, and made me promise to quit watching it.

Our finances. Ask me about money and you'll see my lower lip start to quiver. Our budget used to work on paper, but it doesn't seem to even do that any more. I clearly need to go back to work, but the thought of it takes me from lip quiver to full blown sob. Even if I did want to, every district in our area is laying off teachers. The district I resigned from laid off every administrative employee except the superintendent. We could get by with me working just 10 or so hours a week, so I've been scanning the want-ads. See? Lip quivering.
That no one is reading this blog. If you made it this far, drop me a line and tell me what you'd like to see a post about and I'll do my best to oblige. Because I'm just like that....

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay you make me feel shallow, because I can't get passed my finances to worry about the war in the Middle East.

By the way, I would wear your blog. It would make a cute skirt. But I wouldn't have the money to buy it.

July 25, 2006 11:21 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Hey, no pigeon-holing! You blog about what you want to blog about.

Someday I'll get that writing assignment to you for a little $$ in the bank.

July 26, 2006 7:21 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I totally understand about the finances. That is the ONLY reason I work. It is a difficult decision. I just try to tell myself it is for the good of my family to be able to provide the basics as well as some extras. It doesn't always help but that is what I try to tell myself. ;-)

And yes, keep posting.

July 26, 2006 7:55 AM  
Blogger Ms. Skywalker said...

Yesterday I saw a picture on cnn's website that broke my heart...a child, sitting on a floor, sobbing, alone. His family had been killed...I just could hardly stand it, and although I told myself to not look at it, he lingers there. I remember after Katrina, my mom came in and told me that if I continued to watch the news, she'd physically remove my tv from my house. I was always calling there, bawling about what was happening. It's frustrating, because I don't know how beyond being aware and praying what we can do.
Regarding the budget..well, you know I'm with you. Here's to another weekend at the free beach!
Also, I'm sure you're going to get a million karma points for saving the dragon fly...and for posting again!! :-)

July 26, 2006 8:28 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I stop by your blog probably once a week. I've been busy at work and at an absolute loss about what to write about on my own blog, but I still try to get some fun reading in once a week.

The pictures are lovely. Good luck with the finances/budget worries. Stupid money.

July 28, 2006 11:17 AM  
Blogger Her Grace said...

My blog would make a cute skirt, wouldn't it?

Thanks for your comments everyone. I hope that post didn't sound too negative -- that's why I put the happy stuff first!!

Sweetest sin -- I'm sorry to hear of all your trouble. I hope things turn around for you soon. Take care.

July 28, 2006 2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home