August 15, 2006

Gratuitous Kid Blogging

In no particular order:

Ten Things I Love About My Daughters

10. I love that Party Girl's toes are so ticklish that I can hardly clip her toenails. It's nearly impossible to trim when she's giggling hysterically and I have tears in my eyes from laughing at her.

9. I love that Sass uses a new word immediately after hearing it. And uses it and uses it, just not always appropriately: "Mama? I don't recognize this cereal you gave me. I love it every day."

8. I love that no matter where in the house she is and no matter what she's doing, if Party Girl hears one of us laugh out loud or hears Sass yell in delight, she'll drop what she's doing and come shrieking and running. It doesn't matter what the fun is, she's going to be a part of it.

7. I love that when I leave the stereo on in the living room, I can walk in to find Sass grooving to the music, all by herself. She has always loved to dance, and quickly progressed from toddler butt-shaking to this (which left us worrying for her dancing future) to all out hopping, jumping, and joyful dancing. The kid can move.

6. I love seeing Party Girl's somewhat logical procession in gaining new words. I-no is a princess, because she's loves the song from the Sleeping Beauty "I know you, I danced with you once upon a dream..." Peek is Elmo. She doesn't watch Sesame Street, but falls apart with laughter at this game. Tigger is bounce, because of a toy Tigger we have that says "I love to bounce!" and then does so. (Wow, it would seem we have way too many licensed characters around our house.)

5. I love Sass's treasures. I recently bought her a small wicker stand at a garage sale and put it next to her bed. I left it empty and she soon filled it up with her favorite things. At the bottom is a small cupboard and she reserves that for her most precious items. In it is a small felt covered rabbit, two rubber lizards, a rock, a water bottle I let her take to the beach a few weeks ago, a Big Boy bobblehead, a toy top, an apple shaped charm box, and a small wind up train. Only she makes the decision if something is worth putting in the "doors."

4. I love that Party Girl can be doing something so insanely against the rules, like pilfering a bag of sunflower seeds off my desk and using them to make small piles up and down the dog's back, or opening the dishwasher door and then standing on it, and when caught has not even a flicker of mischeviousness in her eyes. Pure innocence will get you everywhere.

3. I love watching Sass realize she can learn new things. This week she figured out how to make herself swing and she flies higher and higher, head thrown back, and shouts Mama! I'm swinging! like she's never been swinging in her whole life. She has -- a million times -- but never under her own power. She's picking up letters and the other day found a card in which my mom had written all of our names. Sass recognized each one (I'm guessing from their first letters) and when she realized what she'd done she clutched the card tight and grinned.

2. I love that they're both cuddlebugs, and that at any given moment one of them is touching me, hugging me, snuggling in close, holding my hand. I often don't give myself credit for my place in their life, but they remind me how important I am to them in these small and quiet moments.

And number one? I love that they're mine.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww..so sweet!!!

August 16, 2006 12:50 AM  
Blogger Maggie said...

They're wonderful kids.

A few things from their Aunt Marnie:

I love that Sass is generous and wants everyone else to be happy too. When I had a tea party with her and told her she could have my cookie she was genuinely disconcerted. She really wanted me to have a cookie with her.

I love that Party Girl, while cooperative, has her own mind and isn't afraid to speak it. Like when I asked her to put her crayon away (in fear of it being eaten or ending up coloring something inappropriate). She did it, but yelled her displeasure right after.

August 16, 2006 7:00 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I love that you love your girls so much and so openly.

August 16, 2006 8:32 AM  
Blogger Lauri said...

Love the picture...Your girls are adorable. The way you describe Party Girl so much reminds me of my daughter... there is something about that age that I just want to bottle.


Lauri

August 16, 2006 12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is the cutest. picture. ever. Especially the grin on your little one. Hee!

August 17, 2006 5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home