September 21, 2006

Love Thursday: Grandparents

Last Thursday, my mom took Sass for their weekly "date." This date usually involves a trip to the "snack store" and then pretty much anything Sass wants to do for a few hours at Grandma's. Sass soaks up the individual attention, and Grandma has only one rule -- "What happens at Grandma's, stays at Grandma's." (Sass is one of four, equally indulged grandchildren. Party Girl is just now starting to catch on that there may be something fun happening when the two of them leave together.)

Last week, I called to check on them. My mom laughed into the phone and said that there was perhaps no child on Earth more pampered than my daughter at that moment. She was sitting in my mom's enormous grandbaby-bathing sink, luxuriously soaking in warm bubbles. She was watching a Disney movie on the TV in the kitchen, and my mom was brushing her hair. To top it off, Pop (my stepdad) was feeding her raspberry sherbet. That's spa-level treatment right there, you know.

My mom said that she hoped someday her grandchildren would sit with their own grandkids and remember moments like that one.

So for Love Thursday this week, I'm posting a picture of her father -- my grandfather -- with me. In this picture, it's my birthday and I'm pretty close to the age that Sass is now.





My grandpa was big and strong, but also funny and soft. He was the kind of grandpa that got down and played with you, turned the hose on you after watering his garden in the summertime, who told you jokes that made you laugh as a child and roll your eyes as a teenager. He loved it when we'd all tumble into bed with him in the morning after sleeping over, climbing all over him and snuggling in. He was a good man -- loyal, kind, loving even when you are being unlovable, fair, funny, and honest.

I tell my girls stories about him, and when I'm a grandma I'll take the lessons I've learned from him, my grandmothers, and my mom and pass them on to my own grandchildren.

I'm pretty sure Sass loves her grandma too.




(P.S. This picture was taken this week on my mom's birthday. Happy Birthday Mom!)

4 Comments:

Blogger MaGreen said...

i've been thinking about my grandma this week, too. it's a fabulous picture. i like your love thursday thing.

September 20, 2006 11:22 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I am practically in tears. I have to hold it together since I am at work.

I loved my grandma (grammy) too. I practically lived at their house. I hope that I can love as unconditionally as my grandparents have done with me. My grandma passed away several years ago and I have been missing her a lot lately so your post really touched my heart.

Thanks for sharing.

September 21, 2006 9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seeing that picture took me back to when you were Sass's age. I am so thankful that you have those wonderful memories of your grandparents. That's what I want to leave behind - grandkids who, as adults, tell stories that start with "One day, my grandma and I......" I was tucking Sass into her carseat tonight to bring her back home after our date and felt a rush of love that just filled my heart. She was smiling at me and telling me that her bedtime probably wasn't for at least another five minutes and maybe we could watch Muzzly before we left. And, "Remember, Grandma, my cupcakes are in the refrigerator. I want to keep some here for my next date and take the rest home. You go get them, Grandma, but don't tip them over because the frosting will stick. Oh, and Grandma, my moon pie is next to my juice. Did you get my shoes? Perfect!!!!" God bless those little girls.

September 21, 2006 11:53 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

really enjoy your blog and mommy-weight as well. I miss my nanna too. she passed away 5 years ago. luckily my son got to know her and spend special times with her as well. my son is 13 now. Just before old-nanna,(thats what my son called her instead of great-grandma) any way she died not long after mothers day in 2001, and that last mothers day she spent with my son climbing along rocks at the beach catching little mud crabs, and collecting shells. she was a wonderful woman and nanna. I found your blog by googling the title of my blog, just out of curiosity to see what would come up.

September 22, 2006 7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home