November 01, 2006

The Rise and Fall of the Sugar Rush

Last night, when all was said and done, Party Girl sat slumped on the couch, her belly sticking out of her jammies. She had a bag of mini-M&Ms in one hand and a sippy of milk in the other, Here Come the ABCs playing on the TV.

"Mama? Candy COHN! Siy-yee doggee. Candy COHN!" (Candy corn being the name for all things candy. Silly dog being our dog who is silly and also very, very bad for emptying the trash can while we were gone.) I tucked her into bed and she sang to herself "Rock bye baby. Happytoseeyou." And then she passed out in a sugar glazed stupor. In the night, I heard her stir and I swear I heard her say "Candy cohn," but I could have been in the middle of my own chocolated hazed dreams.

Sass the pretty pirate had a school party in the morning. She was asked to lead the Halloween parade and did so, albeit nervously eating her hands the whole time. She and I both made friends with a mom/daughter duo, so it was a good day. After lunch, she and PG both crashed. Sass alternately cried and "hugged" PG relentlessly. PG became belligerant when no one would give her more candy and practiced her indignent stomp in every room of the house.

After dinner, we dressed them in four layers of clothes underneath their costumes. Sass, who panics if you put lace up shoes or a winter coat on her, had alarm in her eyes. To her credit, she stayed cool. I kept telling her "We're not going to put anything tight on you. It will all be loose and comfortable. It feels funny when I'm putting it on, but once I get you settled it will feel ok. Stay calm, we'll have a great night."

"I'm calm, Mommy," she said, though I could see it was a struggle. Once she was dressed and outside, however, she was fine. (One of these days, I'm going to do a post on raising a girl like Sass.)

Poor PG had so many clothes on that when my mom gave her a candy bar, she couldn't get her arm to her mouth.

And finally, we were out trick or treating! Sass had a blast. She loves all the scary stuff and we hopscotched back and forth to the houses with the most decorations. Poor PG got surprised by a hissing fog machine and never really recovered. M took her home early and when Sass was done she put her stool by the door so she could take care of our own trick or treaters.

At the end of the night, she curled up in my lap and said, "Mama? I love EVERYONE. Halloween is fun!"

I have to agree.

1 Comments:

Blogger Maggie said...

I'm glad they had such a fun day! I can't help but have the image of that kid from The Christmas Story who was so bundled up in his snowsuit he couldn't move when I think of PG not being able to bend her arm. How cute!

p.s. I love that picture!

November 01, 2006 7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home