September 28, 2006

Love Thursday: Love is All Around

Every spring and summer, the robins come to a euc wreath on my mom's front porch and build a nest. They're safe there from the hawks and crows, it's dry and cozy. It's also where everyone enters their house, however. So every time you enter or leave, your greeting with a loud, sudden fluttering of wings as the mama bird retreats. She sputters at you from her perch while you walk to your car, then she cruises back in to take care of her babies. It's startling sometimes (as I'm sure it must be to her), but it is so worth it when the babies come. They're right there, at eye level, and if you stand very quietly in the doorway, you can watch her feed them.






Love really is all around. Sometimes as close as your own front porch.

6 Comments:

Blogger bozoette said...

Amazing shot!

September 28, 2006 9:38 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

awesome picture! I'm always amazed at how nature manages to adapt to human intrusion. I keep hoping that someone will nest in one of the big trees by our house, but so far no luck. Great post--Happy Love Thursday!

September 28, 2006 1:23 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

I have a porch light that seems to house a different bird every year. One year was a robin like your mom's house guest. That robin would dive bomb me every time I watered my flowers. This year I had a mourning dove and she was sweet. She was just sit and watch and she never flew away. I really liked having her nest there -- it's a glimpse into something you don't usually see that close.

September 28, 2006 7:53 PM  
Blogger PastormacsAnn said...

What a great picture. How amazing that you could get such a shot. Glad you made the "sacrifice" in order to witness this kind of love.

September 29, 2006 2:21 AM  
Blogger Her Grace said...

I can't take credit for this shot, my stepdad took it from their front door. It's an amazing shot, isn't it?

September 29, 2006 7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful picture and post.

October 01, 2006 1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home